Bind On Equip
Date:16th May 2015
The podcast about World of Warcraft the way we see it and play it.
We don’t theorycraft, we don’t min-max, we don’t talk down to you.
We will share a laugh, our experiences in and out of the game, and talk about the news we think is interesting.
If you are new to Bind on Equip….Welcome, and strap in..
- Our current in-game adventures centre around a pvp project which you the listener are encouraged to join in..
- We have a guild of all female gnomes with pigtails or ponys on Jubei’thos.
- the guild is called Pigtail Mafia
- We will be running battlegrounds on them every weekend and recording the hi jinx for your listening delight
- to get onboard, roll a female gnome on Jubei’thos or gundrak, join BoE channel and ask for an invite.
In the BOE cave this time around we have
as always the Wych and the lovely Tempeste,
and joining us Berat, Zooe and Kai.
So where are these gnomes at?
I’m going to ask that every week and its philosophical and literal. We’ll talk about how its going, but also there will be a gnome dance party during the show at a spot i will reveal at this point which will be pehaps risky in terms of a gnomes safety.
lets go over the news thats caught our attention:
Our shownotes are available at www.BindOnEquip.com along with lots of cool stuff. If you would like to sponsor our show and help us with hosting costs etc there is a paypal donation link there. Listener donations keep us going and we really appreciate your help.
News, Observations, Opinion & Discussion topics:
Ion Hazzikostas talked to GamesBeat about the recently announced loss of 2.9 million subscribers, Patch 6.2, and Warlords of Draenor.
- The team saw subscribers increase at Warlords as, confirmation they selected the right idea and setting for the expansion.
- goal to make a fun and engaging experience: not chase subscriber numbers, as they are confident that the numbers will follow in the wake of that.
- WoW released at the right time and has been a very adaptable game, which has helped to sustain it over the years. Other MMOs provide inspiration on how to make the game better.
- The loss in subscribers is partially due to the cyclical nature of the game.
- Players don’t play WoW year-round anymore, they just come back for new content and then go off to play other games. To some extent that is okay. The team doesn’t want to prevent people from playing that way.
- There was a large spike in subscribers for Warlords so they knew there was going to be a “bit of a dip” after that.
- The WoW Token hasn’t had a drastic impact on the number of subscribers.Dungeons
- no incentive to keep running them after the start of the expansion.
- Previous expansions had something like Valor Points to keep players coming back for more dungeons.
- Group dungeons are one of the greatest strengths in the MMO genre and it is a shame that there hasn’t been more of a reason to do them recently.New Content and Patch 6.2
- Patch 6.2 is one of the largest content patches ever released.
- Patch 6.2 adds Timewalking and Mythic dungeons, making group dungeon content relevant again.
- Patch 6.2 iterates on existing systems, polishes things, and adds some new content.
- Massive class overhauls aren’t as likely to appear in content patches anymore, as returning players come back to find that their class has changed once again.
- The amount of content added in a patch is a balance between satisfying the hardcore players that go though content very quickly and the players that go at a slower pace.
- The team also has to make progress on future projects that are important while still working on upcoming content patches.
- Certain types of changes are reserved for expansions rather than patches to keep complexity in check.Accessibility
- Accessibility is a core value of the game and has helped WoW grow and sustain itself.
- Classes are more complex now than they used to be back in the day. Destro Warlocks in Burning Crusade raids would literally keep up one debuff and press Shadowbolt really hard and fast to beat everyone else. The game hasn’t been “dumbed down” from that.
- Changes have been made to trim excess and keep things focused, but there is still a very high skill cap.
- Both more casual raiders (Normal difficulty) and hardcore raiders (Mythic difficulty) can now see the entire story. This wasn’t possible in older expansions like the Burning Crusade.
- Accessibility means allowing players that have been playing for a long time to continue to enjoy the game, even if it is at a different level of commitment as their life changes. Many players started out as students and are now professionals with families.Raids
- More people are doing organized raiding than ever before thanks to some of the conveniences that have been added recently.
- It would be nice if Mythic could scale with the raid size, but the team isn’t sure that level of tuning is possible.
- Making specific mechanics and encounters for Mythic difficulty is possible now because of the fixed raid size, but if the raid had to scale down to 10 players that would no longer be possible.
Music in our podcast comes with permission from Aussie artist Jimi Hocking. Check it out at www.jimihocking.com We also use Mevio’s Music Alley. At music.mevio.com
Drop us a line at BindonEquip@gmail.com and let us know what you think of the show, or what you’ve been up to. You can follow the podcast on twitter at “Bindonequip”, or each of us on “thewych” “tempeste” and “wemb”
If you’re not in-game get in there!
Anyone is welcome to join the Pants On Head guild unless we have booted you before for being a dick! Log into the Jubei’thos oceannic realm on the horde side and join the BOE channel. A friendly officer will quiz you and you will be rubbing shoulders with us before you know it!
Our guild & Raid team: Crazy Train?
What has been your focus in the last week/what are you working on?
This is where we pick a particularly “special” post from forums, and discuss its merits, or lack of..
The Oprah Report
Time for Wemb to bring us up to date on the exciting adventures of OprahWinfury, the battleground healing shammy, and see how he is going with the 5 targets he is trying to meet.
- BG healed for this level?
- Dungeon healed for this level?
- current zone quested?(swap continent each new zone)
- Pet captured for this level?
- Engineering skill (5 times player level)?
We have come to the end of another podcast! Thanks for sticking with us.
Let us know what you think of the show and any changes you’d like to see!
Next week we return to take on…
Thanks as always to Berat Zooe and Kai for joining us!
Until next time, I’m Wembli