Present: Ben Brode & Jason Chayes
Noted in the crowd some top 10 ranked players
What can we expect from the PvE element
Repeatable & Playable?
- Still working on adventures
- 20 – 30 cards in 1st adventure
- structure on rewards is not set yet
- want to be fun regardless of the number of times that play
Changes to Buzzards
- Hunters are very powerful
- targeted to reduce the power of hunters for most of the audience
- Is the change too much of a nerf?
- best match up at high levels – mage, druid rogue.
Android is a tricky platform – how does it feel given the size issues?
- 1 of the reasons they waited because they weren’t sure about the size transfer
- didn’t want to announce they were sure they could do it at Blizzard level
- There will be changes for the UI given the size – cards, collections
- Still in R&D phase right now
- Match making will be across all platform
Is there a full screen card view?
- not yet – good idea
How are they going to keep the multi platform releases together – iOs lag?
- They are aware of the issues but want to ensure the game you play on the pc is the same as on your iOs device
Will there be a an off-line play mode for mobile?
- The core of the game is PvP which means it needs to be mobile & connected to servers
- Looking at options
- Off-life wont be available at release
- Designing to keep data tfr to a minimum
Is there anyway for external testing for mobile devices?
- There is no easy way to do it given the iOs restrictions
- no plan for closed beta for mobile platforms
Ranked play against ranking for class specific decks – i.e. Warlock T1 vs Priest T3 squeying
- Stats always has noise
- Also looking at specifics
- Looking at deck list with win/loss ratio for high power cards
- New ranking system will hopefully address it
People want to see there win/loss and pay details
- Need to make it consistant with UI
- Not at launch
- It’s on the radar
- Region rank posting is the first step
- If there is a better way tell us
How long before you can play as Arthas?
- laughter & no answer
Would you consider offering different specs for each class?
- looking at different heroes skins & powers
- no real plans at the moment
Design details on Spell damage
- The game is like puzzle – how do I set myself up?
- Something that makes this bad is being vs a full spell deck (no minions)
- The change was to reduce this type of play but to make it fun
With the popularity of the game will be added to WCS?
- the demo was to gauge the reception
- esports will play a part of the game in the future
- in the next few months they look at it
The view numbers were better than SC streams – did you expect it?
- surprised about the reception
- healthy size of potential players still waiting
- the question is how do we move forward – we need to think about it
Plans for achievements for WoW? or linked achievements?
- Yes its been talked about
- no specifics on time frames
- it’s standard for other Blizz games
- current focus is on quest system
- no real plan for linked acheivements
Hearthstone NPC’s in WoW – will Hearthstone be in WoW?
- it’s a cool idea
- current focus is on best possible for the current platforms
1 year announce & release is a first for Blizz
- Team is 15 – out to 22 with the extra platforms
- everyone is going flat out to get it out
how do you play to introduce new cards or expansions?
- haven’t figured it all out
- they will be separate packs to purchase
- content & price hasn’t been decided
What needs to the most work to get to release
- Number of players is the biggest focus
- The current plan is working on increments – current 1Mil keys out
- At each step they are assessing & working to mitigating risk
- Some of the artists are working on extra “icing” – this a place to explore before to release
Discard mechanic doesn’t feel right – what about milling
- These mechanics dont work for Hearthstone
- The game is about hero damage which is not what the game is for
- the fatigue mechanic is designed to avoid this
Golden basic cards – plans
- these are available at highest level 50 – 60
Could you use a golden you’ve earned in arena?
- it’s been talked about, but there’s not plan
Magic the gathering resource collection/control style of play
- They want to Hearthstone to be fun – this play style is not fun is to play against
- The game should be fun if you win or lose
- There is always a balance between fun & competitive
- dropping legendary cards should feel awesome
There are so few emotes – why?
- The emotes will be expanded – not sure how
- This will be after release
Mind control feels bad – balance of the change
- The game should still be fun when you are losing
- The emotional response to having it to played against you makes you feel bad – this had to change
- There are always cards that get feedback
- They pay a lot of attention to the core design philosphy
Card steal mechanics & grave yards access – will they be added
- These things were considered but added a lot more complexity
- There are so many options & really cool ideas
Is Flame strike is good?
- Yes – don’t you like it? (yes)
What is the most overpowered class/card combo that aren’t being used
- Constantly surprised at what people come up with
- the community almost know better than the dev team
- the players are all unique
Name a card that has come to prominence recently
- Any change raises cards up
- Any plans to buff cards that aren’t played – i.e. bad cards
- Alpha had a heap that we played less
- As they get closer to launch there is less chance of change
- the onus of balance is on players
- they pay attention to the data on used vs. unused
These are only brief notes – dont read too much into them.
Here’s a pic of me & the Hearthstone guys!